These Shortbread Cookies are very easy to make with only 4 ingredients. They’re incredibly delicious, buttery and crumbly melt-in-your-mouth.
Can you ever go wrong with these shortbread cookies? The answer is no. These Scottish cookies are simple to make. Only 4 ingredients are needed! Yes, you read that right, only 4 ingredients; flour, butter, icing sugar, and salt. Ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.
These delicious, perfectly sweet cookies are perfect for celebrating the holiday season, especially Christmas. A classic holiday cookie, but who says you only could have it during the holiday season? With this recipe, you can enjoy these holiday cookies anytime you want like… right now!
The traditional Shortbread Cookies aren’t vegan, but you can easily make them vegan by switching to vegan butter. The dough can be prepared days ahead of time, and even frozen if you want an easy make-ahead.
What is Shortbread?
Shortbread a.k.a shortie, is a traditional Scottish biscuit that has existed in Scotland since the Middle Ages. Shortbread is called short because of its soft, buttery crumb that melts in your mouth texture. It was expensive and reserved as a luxury for special occasions such as Christmas, Hogmanay (Scottish New Year’s Eve), and weddings.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C. Prepare a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Sift the flour in a mixing bowl. Add sugar and salt and mix.
- Add vegan butter, rubbing it in with your fingers. It will be crumbly and then gradually form into a cookie dough.
- Form the cookie dough into balls and use a fork to press gently. If the dough is too sticky or crumbly, wrap with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes until it is firm enough to hold.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or till the edges are lightly browned. Let them sit for 10 minutes before transferring them to the cooling rack.
- Serve with a cup of hot tea.
- To store: Store the shortbread cookies in an airtight container for up to a week.