Quick and easy treats you can make today. Only 4 ingredients and no marshmallows are needed. Your vegan friends will thank you for these crunchy treats!
I’ve been loving matcha so much lately. As you can see, I’ve just done a matcha recipe last week, and I’m doing another one now.
Check out my previous matcha recipe here:
At first, I wanted to make classic rice krispie treats with marshmallows, but I couldn’t find any vegan marshmallows at my local grocery stores. So, I decided to make it without using marshmallow and switching it to brown sugar syrup.
I was worried the rice crisp cereal won’t stick together without marshmallows. Surprisingly, it sticks together when I use a bit more brown sugar syrup. It can be too sweet if I use too much brown sugar syrup, so I reduce the sweetness by adding more matcha powder. Matcha powder brings bitterness hence reducing the sweetness overall.
I don’t personally love marshmallows, so it would be a waste if I buy a bag of marshmallows just for this recipe. I’m glad I made an adjustment to the recipe and omit marshmallows.
My whole family love these matcha rice krispie treats so much. I had at least 3 to 4 pieces every single day. These treats are quite filling, so I snack on them during the mid-day to keep my energy ongoing. I also packed some for my friend, and their son couldn’t stop eating it. How lovely is him.
Matcha powder: Matcha is a powder that’s made of finely ground green tea leaves from the Camellia sinensis plant. Matcha is grown differently from green tea. It is rich in caffeine, amino acids, fibre and chlorophyll, and also high in antioxidants, including catechins, which may help prevent cell damage and lower your risk of chronic diseases. One cup of this amazing drink can be equated with 10 cups of regular green tea when comparing its nutritional value and antioxidant content.
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 5 cups rice crisp cereal
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C. Prepare a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Melt the vegan butter in the microwave.
- Add the brown sugar syrup into the melted vegan butter and stir well.
- In a large bowl, add rice crisp cereal, and matcha powder. Mix till well combined. These are your dry ingredients.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the dry ingredients and stir quickly to mix.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking tray. Spread into an even layer and use a spatula to press lightly into the pan. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes till slightly brown and everything set.
- Remove from the oven. Let it cool down before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool down.
- Cut into the desired shape and enjoy!
- To store: Store the rice krispie in an airtight container and store it in a dry place for up to 2 weeks.