By Victoria Q
As we enter the fall season and the last quarter of 2021, this got me really crazy about pumpkin especially since Halloween is just around the corner. I’d had plenty of pumpkin baked goods lately when I was trying to create new recipes and honestly, I’m a little bored of it (as I’m having it every single day now). So, I was thinking of what I can do with the leftover pumpkin.
I love pumpkin. It is very nutritious and low in calories, but I also wanted something savoury at the same time.
I also love cooking but there are some days that I don’t feel like spending much time cooking. And there are also times I just don’t have much time to cook. But that doesn’t mean that I can’t have something delicious. Not all cooking needs an hour or more to cook.
And here comes the Pumpkin Curry! A sweet, savoury, spicy and easy to make dinner when you don’t have much time on hand. It requires only minimal ingredients and most importantly, it takes only 20 minutes to cook. Simple, quick and delicious!
Pumpkin: Pumpkin is high in vitamin A which is important for strengthening the intestinal lining and vitamin C to boost immune cells. In short, it’s good for your eyes, skin, and heart. Pumpkin is a natural sweetener, so I omit to add extra sugar in this recipe. If your pumpkin isn’t sweet enough, feel free to add brown or white sugar.
Vegetables: It’s totally depending on your preference to add any vegetables to this recipe – broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, green peas, potato, sweet potato etc. I want to keep it simple by adding only broccoli and carrot.
Extra protein: Feel free to add any protein of your choice for extra nutrients. Canned chickpeas or tofu works well here. If you’re making a non-vegan curry, chicken chunks will be the best.
Non-dairy milk: Full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream will add creaminess, and richness to the soup with its coconut flavour. You may substitute to soy milk or cashew milk if you want but I’m not sure if it will taste as delicious as using coconut product.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cup pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté till softened.
- Add water and curry powder. Stir to combine. Then, add carrot and pumpkin and cook for another 2 minutes just to soften it.
- Add broccoli, salt, and coconut milk. Stir and cook over low to medium heat till all vegetables soften.
- Adjust the taste by adding more curry powder or salt depends on your desire.
- Serve immediately over rice. Enjoy!
- To store: Keep the leftover curry in a sealed storage container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Interested in vegan recipes? I think you might love these too!