By Victoria Q
You’ve probably heard plenty of popcorn fish recipes out there, but this recipe isn’t only about popcorn fish. It’s Popcorn Seaweed Fish!!! This crunchy Popcorn Seaweed Fish is not only delicious but also meatless! Which means it’s perfect for vegans.
I found that people who are exploring or just want to start their journey to veganism is clueless about what to cook. At least I was when I just started my journey. So, I created this recipe for you, who are exploring your way to veganism, or trying to eat less meat, or just want to try something new even you’re not a vegan.
Serve with a rich and tangy dill dip as an appetizer, side dishes or finger food on your next gathering.
Nori sheet: Using nori provides the umami flavour and it matches well with tofu. I also added lemon juice for an even stronger taste. The sourness of lemon juice and the umami taste of nori create a perfect sea flavour of the classic fish recipe.
- 400g firm tofu
- ½ nori sheet, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Half a lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup/brown sugar syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wrap the tofu in paper towels and press out any excess liquid.
- Crumble the tofu into small pieces.
- In a sealed storage container, mix all the ingredients for seaweed fish. Close the lid and shake lightly to ensure all the tofu is covered with sauce. Let the marinade sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours (preferable overnight).
- Heat a large frying pan with enough oil. While waiting for the oil to heat up, combine all ingredients for the coating in a deep plate (or a sealed storage container) and mix well.
- Check the oil by dipping a wooden skewer into it. If the bubbles form around the skewer, the oil is hot enough and you can proceed with the frying process. Once the oil is ready, turn to medium or low heat.
- Put a few tofu pieces into the coating mix, close with a lid (or another plate on top) and shake lightly (feel free to use whatever is easier for you). Make sure the tofu is fully coated with the mixture.
- Add them to the hot oil and fry till golden brown. Remove and place them on a paper towel to drain out excess oil. Repeat with the rest of the tofu.
- Combine the ingredients for dill dip and serve immediately.