By Victoria Q
I love dessert. I mean, who doesn’t love dessert? Especially a moist, soft, and rich brownie.
I always wanted something more of a classic brownie and a chocolate fudge that melt directly inside your mouth. And these black bean brownies are the most perfect brownies that I’ve ever made.
I just couldn’t believe how good they actually taste! Their texture is fudgy, moist and rich in chocolate flavour. And, most importantly, they are diet-friendly! What does it mean? They are vegan, gluten-free and actually made from black beans. Yes! They are yummy, sweet dessert that’s totally free from flour and very easy to make.
You can have as much as you want without feeling guilty after this! And did I tell you these brownies are actually rich in protein?
Black beans: Black beans are notoriously rich in protein and fibre. There is roughly 16g of protein per cup (180ml) serving of canned black beans. Fibre is filling and helps you feel full longer which can actually aid in weight loss. They are also packed with many healthy minerals to boost your heart health.
Flax eggs: Flax eggs are replacement of regular eggs that works best in hearty baked goods, such as muffin, quick breads, cookies and pancakes. Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water for each egg in a recipe. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes to create an egg-like consistency. Flaxseed is loaded with nutrients, high in omega-3 fats, and dietary fibre.
Tip 1: Always use a toothpick to check your cake to avoid being burnt or overcooked. After the first 25 minutes of baking, check every 8-10 minutes afterwards with the toothpick.
Tip 2: Never cut a cake before it is completely cool. It can easily crumble or tear when it’s still warm. This same goes as transferring to a cooling rack. Let it sit for a few minutes before transferring.
- 1 can black bean, drained well
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (see notes above)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa butter
- Vegan chocolate chips
- Food processor
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC. Melt butter in the microwave and prepare your flax eggs and set aside.
- Line a baking tray with some parchment paper. I use a 9-inch round cake mould, but you can use whatever shape of the baking tray you preferred.
- Add all the ingredients except your preferred toppings to a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking tray, smooth out evenly and sprinkle your toppings.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Use a toothpick to check the cake after the first 25 minutes and every 8-10 minutes afterwards.
- Allow the brownies to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. This can let the cake firm up a bit.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let them cool completely before cutting.
- To store: Place the brownies into a sealed storage container without sticking to each other and store them in the fridge for up to a week.
2 responses to “Vegan Black Bean Brownies”
[…] 2021 Halloween: Best Breakfast Ever – Pumpkin Muffins (Vegan) Vegan Black Bean Brownies […]
[…] Banana Bread 2021 Halloween: Best Breakfast Ever – Pumpkin Muffins (Vegan) Vegan Black Bean Brownies Date Energy […]