By Victoria Q
These date energy balls are one of my favourite on-the-go snacks any time of the day. They are vegan, gluten-free and paleo. Not only do they taste delicious but also packed with many nutrients.
Dates: Dates are dried fruit and quite high in sugar, they are a natural sweetener. So, they are basically a great way to add sweetness into any dessert recipe without adding sugar. They are high in fibre, which slows down your digestion and helps prevent a spike in your blood sugar levels. That also means you get a healthy sweet treat that gives you long-lasting energy and not a sugar rush that leaves you super hungry later on.
Toppings: I love semi-sweet date balls with some touch-up bitterness topping so I use unsweetened cocoa powder in this recipe. However, there are countless ways to come up with your topping. I love having a batch of these vegan date energy balls in my fridge and grab 2 for dessert at work. Trust me, they taste the same even though they are away from the fridge for several hours.
- 2/3 cup – 1 cup of Medjool dates (Use 2/3 cups if you prefer less sweet)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A few dashes of water
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Matcha powder
- Food processor
- Add the oats to a food processor and process till it turns into coarse powder but not overly processed.
- Remove seeds from dates and add into the food processor along with unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, and vanilla extract. Pulse a few times till well combined. If the dough is too dry and not sticking together, add a few dashes of water, a bit at a time. Work till a sticky dough formed.
- Scoop dough from the food processor with your hands and roll into even bites sized balls.
- Topping: Roll each date ball on toppings of your choice.
- To store: Place date balls into a sealed storage container without sticking to each other and store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
One response to “Date Energy Balls (Vegan)”
[…] Vegan Banana Bread 2021 Halloween: Best Breakfast Ever – Pumpkin Muffins (Vegan) Vegan Black Bean Brownies Date Energy Balls (Vegan) […]